June 27, 2019 - June 30, 2019
Venue: Storm Castle Retreat
Venue Website: firstname.lastname@example.orgAddress:
Thursday-Sunday June 27th-30 2019 at Storm Castle Retreat
****Before purchasing tickets please visit https://www.montopia.net/ for important information and the rules****
Welcome to MONTOPIA!!! WHAT’S GOING ON HERE…? A bit about Montopia ● Communal Effort, Civic Responsibility, Participation, and Immediacy are the glue… We come together as individuals to create this experience together, we are all members of this “township” known as Montopia. If you see someone needing help, jump in, if you need help, reach out. Do not come as a tourist or spectator, come as a participant and community member!! If you see something that needs doing, do it! If there is something you feel called to say, create, or express, then express it! Right then! These moments and our lives are impermanent and this experience can be a great awakening and reminder to live in the NOW!
● This is a LEAVE NO TRACE event: pack it in, pack it out! DO NOT bring feathers (boas, headpieces, etc.) non-biodegradable glitter, garments or costume wear that sheds, or loses pieces. We want to leave Storm Castle Retreat in better condition than when we arrived! More on LNT later!
●Montopia is an exercise in Radical Self-Reliance. This means bringing anything and everything with you, that you may need or want. You must take responsibility for your own survival and well being. This means water, food, shelter, proper clothing, and anything else you need to survive on your own for 4 days in the woods. Radical Self-Reliance also encompases intoxication, it is your responsibility to NOT intoxicate yourself to the point of you being a danger to yourself or others! Do not show up expecting the community to take care of your needs. Prepare as if you were going camping in the mountains alone, with all your fun toys, shiny things, and gifts to share with others you may meet… Bring all the fun things!!
● Montopia functions as a Gift Economy, as such there is nothing for sale or barter (including water and ice). Nothing is to be sold or traded. Giving and receiving is a vital aspect to our community. DO NOT bring things you intend to sell, instead bring gifts to share and give!! A gift is only limited by your imagination, and please consider avoiding gifts that create MOOP (matter out of place) or quickly become garbage.
● We practice Decommodification. There are no “commodities” here, nothing for sale, and a lack of advertising. Covering or modifying corporate logos and brand names on your stuff is encouraged. Promoting or advertising of business or brands of any kind is not in line with the practice of decommodification.
● Radical Self Expression is a pillar of our community. Costumes, creativity, and characters are encouraged and welcome!! What talents do you possess…? Who do you want to be? What do you want to express..?? Again, this principle is only limited by your imagination and creativity!!
● Radical Inclusion! All are welcome here!! There are no strangers; strangers are friends that you haven’t met yet. Include others, and include yourself!
● Consent, Consent, Consent!!! Whether you’d like to take someone’s photo, give them a gift, share personal space, or invite them back to your camp… Ask permission! If they say no, don’t take it personally, accept that they do not want whatever it is and move on. Chances are, there is someone else out there who’d love to have their photo taken, eat that Popsicle, share that hug, kiss, play time… all the things!! Montopia is a community, communities are built on trust, and trust starts with consent!!